To give you a better understanding of who and what the Mays College really is, we’ve put together a fact sheet. From enrollment to the endowment, this breakdown provides you more insight into what makes the college great.
KEY FACTS ABOUT THE MAYS COLLEGE
The mission of the Mays College of Business is to be recognized as a leading provider of lifelong business education and a creator of new business ideas and knowledge.
- Since 1968 the Mays College of Business has been preparing Texas A&M students for diverse, global business careers.
- In 1996, the College received a $15 million gift from Mr. Lowry Mays, founder and CEO of Clear Channel Communications, Inc. In recognition of this gift, the college was renamed the Lowry Mays College & Graduate School of Business.
- The college has five academic departments: accounting, finance, information and operations management, marketing and management.
- The college offers a full range of bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees that are fully accredited by the AASCB – International Association for Management Education.
- Our undergraduate program is currently ranked 26th in the nation (18th among public schools) in the 2002 U.S. News & World Report survey.
- Our MBA program is ranked among the leading programs in the world by Business Week, Forbes, U.S. News & World Report, and The Financial Times.
- Our specialized master’s programs are the third largest in the United States, with over 500 students enrolled.
- The college has approximately 4,900 undergraduate students and more than 800 graduate students.
- Undergraduate students have numerous opportunities for leadership development outside the classroom through programs such as Aggies on Wall Street, Freshmen Business Initiative, the Honors and Fellows Programs and the Business Student Council.
- The college also supports graduate students’ participation outside the classroom through such organizations as the MBA Association, the Graduate Women’s Business Network, and the Graduate International Business Society.
- Our Executive MBA program (offered in The Woodlands, Texas) provides high-quality, graduate business education for individuals with an average of 17 years of work experience.
- Each year the college places hundreds of students in internship positions with leading organizations in all areas of business.
- Our undergraduate and graduate students also have opportunities to gain international experience through the Center for International Business’ study abroad programs.
- With approximately 40,000 alumni, the Mays College has educated numerous business leaders, many of whom hold executive positions at Fortune 500 companies.
- More than 320 business leaders are closely involved with the Mays College through their activity on college and department development councils.
- The college has eight centers of excellence that combine curriculum development and delivery, faculty development and support, and community outreach.
- These include: Center for Executive Development, Center for Human Resource Management, Center for International Business, Center for Entrepreneurship and New Ventures, Center for the Management of Information Systems, Center for Retailing Studies, Real Estate Center, and Reliant Energy Securitites & Commodities Trading Center.
- The college has 72 tenured faculty, 94 tenure-track assistant professors, and more than 40 part- and full-time lecturers.
- Our faculty are leaders in creating new business knowledge. A recent Academy of Management Journal ranked the Mays College faculty 26th in the world (16th among public schools) in terms of their research productivity.
- Our faculty hold significant positions of influence in academic organizations, professional societies, and learned societies.
- The college’s home in the Wehner Building provides a technologically advanced learning environment with numerous labs and networking classrooms.
- A planned building expansion will be complete by fall 2003 and will house the college’s graduate programs and will include the Reliant Energy Securities & Commodities Trading Center.
- Our annual operating budget for 2001-2002 is $18.7 million.
- The current market value of the Mays College endowment is $63.5 million.
- The Mays College currently has 20 chairs, 31 professorships, and 10 fellowships to recognize faculty excellence in teaching, research and service.
- We also have approximately 100 scholarships, which help deserving students fund their educational pursuits in the college.
Comment on this Story
You must be logged in to post a comment.